Saturday, April 18, 2015

Taking a Trip Down Lavender Lane

Most people who know me know that I love the lovely plant called lavender, or Lavandula.  I dream of the day when I will have enough land to make a go of being a lavender farmer, but until then I will grow it in my suburban lot and go visit real lavender farms.  


My favorite place to visit lavender farms is Sequim, Washington, which is located on the Olympic Peninsula, and is a 2-hour drive from Seattle.  Every year Sequim holds a lavender festival and a farm faire in July.  Apparently, there are so many farms there that they veered off into two different groups and formed two different organizations.  My husband and I were lucky enough to go there in 2011 and I can't wait to go back some day.  I just looked it up and we live 1,950 miles from Sequim.  *sigh*

This year, the festival/faire is from July 17-19.  Click here  and here for more information.



During the festival/faire, you can visit several farms, attend a street fair, listening to live bands play, or participate in a cycling event called Tour de Lavande.  Of course, the area is home to breathtaking scenery and you can visit the beach, which is one of my very favorite things to do. The Juan de Fuca Strait is spectacular!  


Being from Kansas, I don't get to see the beach very often.  Nearby towns include Port Angeles and Port Townsend.  And you're not too far from Forks, if you still want to relive a little bit of Twilight nostalgia.  Sequim is also close to the Dungeness Spit, Olympic National Park, Cape Flattery, and the Hoh Rainforest.  There are so many places we would like to go back and visit.  It was a fabulous vacation. 







Why am I writing about it now?  Sentimentality, I guess.  But also because I realized I didn't have very many of my own pictures of lavender on my Lavender Pinterest board.  I am going to remedy that by linking this blog entry to that board.  

So, without further ado, here are a whole bunch of gratuitous photos of lavender from our marvelous trip to Sequim:




















If you ever get a chance to go to this area of the world, I highly recommend it!  Going in July would be even better, but I am certain this place is gorgeous any time of the year.  

I love you, Olympic Peninsula! This Kansas girl really misses you!

Paix et lavande!

--J


No comments: