Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Aidan Turner and One Direction

This is my last full week of vacation before going back to work for the new school year next week.  So I am going to post about two seemingly silly topics:  Aidan Turner and One Direction.

~~~
Aidan Turner is an Dublin-born actor who has been in Being Human, The Hobbit trilogy, and most recently, Poldark, among many others.




Poldark is a BBC production shown on PBS here in the States.  It tells the story of Ross Poldark, a complicated hero who returns home from fighting for the losing side in the American War of Independence to Cornwall.  There, he finds the woman that he loves is engaged to be married to his cousin, his father is deceased, and his inheritance is in tatters.  There is a lot more to the story, especially lovely scenes of Ross cutting weeds and bathing in the sea.
No, really, there is a lot to the story--Cornwall, romance, balls, dancing, horseback riding, fighting, gambling, mining, jealousy, greed, class struggles, and tricorns.  Don't you love a man in a tricorn hat?  I am also loving watching Aidan Turner play the multiple facets of Ross's personality.

This series is a remake of the 1970's version, but from what I understand it follows the books, written by Winston Graham, more closely.  I haven't bought the books yet because I made the mistake of buying Outlander before the first season was over, and it lessened my enjoyment of the TV show.

Here is the BBC promo video for the show.  It's definitely worth watching for one minute if you can't decide whether to watch the show or not.


I belong to several Poldark groups on Facebook, and believe me when I say that Aidan Turner is a much admired man!  I have decided to write a part for him in the book I am writing that is set in Ireland.  I hope he'll agree to play the part, but I suppose I really should finish the book first, eh?

Here is a link to the PBS site where you can find some episodes of Poldark if you reside in the U.S.  The DVD is now available in stores as well, so don't miss out.  :)

Oh, and if you would like to see more Aidan, check out my Pinterest board here.  You'll be glad you did!

~~~

The next topic I am writing about today is One Direction.  Yes, you read that correctly.  The British Isles boy band.  Yes, I do realize I am a "mature" woman who hasn't been a teenager in many moons.  Yes, I know that I run the risk of ridicule if I go ahead with my plan to write about this band.

But you see, I am going to their concert in Kansas City tonight with my daughter.  And we are very excited.  I actually like their music.  I am not kidding.  Really, I'm not.

Listen to this song and tell me it's not delightful.


If that didn't do it for you, try this one:

True, Zayn Malik left the band several months ago, and he is truly missed.  However, my daughter and I will take the remaining four members and be OK with just them.  Her favorite is Niall, the sole Irishman in the band.  My favorite is either Niall or Harry, but I am not a big fan of Harry's long hair.
Yes, I still remember that I am not 12 anymore.  But I like the fact that I can bond with my daughter by listening to the some of the same music.  I hope the concert doesn't disappoint.  I'm sure it won't.

~~~

Thanks for reading.  You're a star.

~~~

PEACE.

                                          LOVE.

                                                                                     SCYTHING.





                         

No comments: